Over the past month I have been playing with Flickr’s new Galleries. Each gallery is limited to 18 images from anywhere in Flickr (provided that the image owner has made their image available for inclusion in galleries). I thought it might be fun to try my hand at picking the best of the new images added to the Flickr Commons each week.
Each Thursday over the past month I have created a Commons Picks of the Week gallery from the all the images added to the Commons in the prior 7 days.
Here are the galleries from the first month of my experiment. Let me know what you think.
- September 17, 2009 Commons Picks of the Week
- September 24, 2009 Commons Picks of the Week
- October 1, 2009 Commons Picks of the Week
- October 8, 2009 Commons Picks of the Week
Each week I had about 150 new images from which to select my 18 favorites. Since many institutions seem to load their images each week along some thematic lines, sometimes I felt like I had too many of one kind of image. Moving forward I may switch to bi-weekly or monthly to get a larger pool of images from which to pick.
I think there is a lot of room for making fun thematic galleries from images in the Commons. I tried my hand at this too and came up with Bathing Beauties of the Commons. Of course the fact that all images across Flickr can co-exist in these galleries means that Commons images now have another way to be pulled into the public eye next to other ‘regular’ images.
I have a short wish list of enhancements I would love to see:
- slideshow option for display of the gallery within Flickr
- a way to embed a gallery on an external website as a slideshow
- some way to follow the new galleries created by an individual (RSS feed or subscription option)
If you try your hand creating a gallery of Commons images, please post a link as a comment to this post so we can all take a look.