Over the past month I have been playing with Flickr’s new Galleries . Each gallery is limited to 18 images from anywhere in Flickr (provided that the image owner has made their image available for inclusion in galleries). I thought it might be fun to try my hand at picking the best of the new images added to the Flickr Commons each week.
Each Thursday over the past month I have created a Commons Picks of the Week gallery from the all the images added to the Commons in the prior 7 days.
Here are the galleries from the first month of my experiment. Let me know what you think.
- September 17, 2009 Commons Picks of the Week 
- September 24, 2009 Commons Picks of the Week 
- October 1, 2009 Commons Picks of the Week 
- October 8, 2009 Commons Picks of the Week 
Each week I had about 150 new images from which to select my 18 favorites. Since many institutions seem to load their images each week along some thematic lines, sometimes I felt like I had too many of one kind of image. Moving forward I may switch to bi-weekly or monthly to get a larger pool of images from which to pick.
I think there is a lot of room for making fun thematic galleries from images in the Commons. I tried my hand at this too and came up with Bathing Beauties of the Commons . Of course the fact that all images across Flickr can co-exist in these galleries means that Commons images now have another way to be pulled into the public eye next to other ‘regular’ images.
I have a short wish list of enhancements I would love to see:
- slideshow option for display of the gallery within Flickr
- a way to embed a gallery on an external website as a slideshow
- some way to follow the new galleries created by an individual (RSS feed or subscription option)
If you try your hand creating a gallery of Commons images, please post a link as a comment to this post so we can all take a look.
- Yahoo & Google’s Search for Reusable Images and the Flickr Commons 
- National Archives Transitions to Flickr Commons Membership 
- German Federal Archives, Crowdsourcing & the Wikimedia Commons 
- Flickr Terms of Service, Unwritten Guidelines and Safety Levels